Monday, January 26, 2009

So this is what organizations should be doing...

In reading the articles for this week, I found so many connections to my training in social work. Of course, my training was more with individuals than with organizations however; all of the ideas apply. The things that stood out to me the most was the article by Bushe which stated "pay attention to what is working well, the qualities of leadeership/group process that are working well...and amplify them when you see them". This is exactly right! This is what I was taught to use as a Strengths-Based Perspective when doing therapy. Again this is stated in the article that it is a direct contrast to what we are taught to do. We are trained to be problem solvers. To make sure that we "nip it in the bud". Based on the readings of this week, I learned that the diagnosis that I learned to apply in a mental health setting can be similar to the diagnosis in an organizational setting. If we are open to change and aware enough to identify needs of the organization changes can be made.

No comments: